Folded Sushi Sandwich
Sushi has always been an easy way to whip up a balanced meal quickly. While it may look daunting to roll the sushi up into restaurant standards, there are certainly other ways you can get the sushi roll act together in more achievable ways that even noob cooks will be able to manage. Besides, we think this makes for a fun bonding activity for the family to prep the meal together.
Sushi can be served like a sandwich; recently, there has been a craze going on the “Folded Kimbap” and the “Onigarazu Sandwich”. We love both versions and in this blog post today, we will be sharing how easy it is to assemble the folded kimbap (we think this might be easier than the Japanese sushi sandwich). With the kimbap, all the ingredients used are cooked so with nothing raw, this rice sandwich makes for a good bento item or a meal on-the-go.
Ingredients for Sushi Sandwich
You can get really creative but there are some essentials:
- Rice (you need to use good quality short-grained rice that sticks well so this helps to “hold” the rice sandwich together.
- Seaweed (you will need the big square ones that can be easier “divided” for the folds).
- Protein items (you can choose from pan-fried tofu for a plant-based option, tuna, spam, or stir fried beef/chicken/pork slice)
- Vegetables for crunch and contrast of textures (pick from lettuce, romaine, shiso leaves, cucumber, carrots, and of course, kimchi, etc)
- Add-ons that you love like cheese slices.
To make this an even healthier meal, consider adding Alchemy Fibre™ For Rice to cook with the rice. With just one heaped tablespoon of Alchemy Fibre™ For Rice to every cup of rice, you can enjoy lower GI and higher fibre rice with no change in taste and texture of fluffy, sweet sushi rice.
Ingredients for Folded Sushi Sandwich (Kimbap Sandwich)
Makes: 6 sandwiches
- 6 square seaweed
- 1 cup of rice with sushi vinegar
- 1 block of tofu (300g)
- 3 eggs
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- sliced luncheon meat
Step 1: Every 1 cup of sushi rice, add 1 heaped tablespoon of Alchemy Fibre™ For Rice and cook it as usual.
Step 2: Seasoning cooked sushi rice with Japanese vinegar for more flavors.
Step 3: Prepare the rest of the ingredients such as carrots, cucumbers, and lettuce.
Step 4: Cut the spam or tofu into rectangular slices
Step 5: Pan fry the spam and tofu until golden brown. You can also use sliced beef or pork with some shoyu, sake and mirin.
Step 6: Beat the eggs and pour a thin layer into the pan, fold the edges to form a square shape of tamago
Step 7: Assemble all the ingredients into the seaweed sheet. Ladle on rice to cover 1/4 of the seaweed, followed by the other ingredients of your preferences.
Sign up for our mailing list and receive the latest update from us.