Your Weekday Meal Prep Hero: Taco Rice
Spice up boring weekday dinners with this tasty little number that’s sure to deliver Mexi-mum flavour over a guilt-free, steamy bed of Japanese rice made with Alchemy Fibre™ For Rice.
This taco rice recipe is sheer genius. Ever eaten a taco and felt like you needed something more substantial? Enter this Okinawan original, Taco Rice – a fusion of two cultures in a bowl. And you don’t have to make it pretty either. It’s one of those mix-it-all-up-and-tuck-in type of food that is fresh and flavourful – perfect for lunch or dinner. Plus, for those who dislike the taste of most vegetables (like some of us do), the clean, crisp lettuce taste and tangy tomatoes blend wonderfully with the rich savoury beef heightened by the umami flavours from a classic blend of spices.
Having tried and tasted this recipe many times, we dare say that taco rice is a real weekday meal prep hero. Why? Because you can mix the spices ahead of time and store it or even cook a batch of taco beef ahead of time and heat it up when you are ready to assemble a bowl with freshly chopped vegetables. Taco ’bout convenience right?
Pro Tip 1: Mix a big batch of spices in a jar and store it in a cool dark place. You can do the same with leftover taco spice mix too.
Pro Tip 2: Cook a big batch of taco beef and portion it out. You can keep it up to 3 days in the refrigerator or freeze it for up to 4 weeks.
But really, don’t worry about leftover taco rice, we guarantee there won’t be any left!
Try Alchemy Fibre For Rice at home
Alchemy Fibre™️ For Rice is a patented, plant-based fibre blend formulated specially for rice. When added to white rice during the cooking process, Alchemy Fibre™️ helps to reduce the glycemic index (GI) of white rice, while increasing the fibre content by 10x. What’s more, using Alchemy Fibre™️ also means increasing prebiotics which are essential for maintaining a healthy gut.
If you love rice in all its forms, be it purist-level steamed rice or accompanied by addictive Tex-Mex flavours, Alchemy Fibre™️ makes every meal healthier for you without compromising on taste. Even if you don’t cook all that often, you can add Alchemy Fibre™️ into soups or yoghurt drinks etc. It dissolves easily and lets you reap all the benefits of controlling your blood sugar and increasing your fibre intake pretty much effortlessly.
Okinawa Taco Rice
- 300 g lean minced beef
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp *neutral cooking oil *Vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or crushed red pepper)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 & 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tomato (cubed)
- 5 sprigs fresh coriander
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 leaves ice-berg lettuce
- shredded cheddar
- 1 cup short-grain Japanese Rice
- 1 tbsp Alchemy Fibre For Rice
- Add the appropriate amount of water to washed rice. Add Alchemy Fibre for Rice and mix well before cooking the rice in a rice cooker or over the stove.
Taco Meat Prep
- While the rice is cooking, combine all the ingredients for the taco seasoning in a mason jar. Shake well to mix spices together.
- Add minced garlic to the pan with oil. Take 3/4 of the diced onions and saute until they are translucent,. Next, add in minced beef and 4 tsp of taco seasoning. Stir-fry until the beef is completely cooked.
- Finely slice coriander and combine it with the remaining onions and tomatoes in a mixing bowl. Squeeze in the juice from lemon and mix well.
- Finely slice lettuce and start assembling.
- Start with a scoop of rice, followed by a layer of lettuce, salsa and then finally taco meat. Top off with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar.